Writing a precis isn’t complicated at all once you learn to follow a straightforward approach while writing. Following are some steps in order that you should follow while writing a precis:
1. Read the passage thrice.
2. Write what you’ve just read in the easier language in bullet points.
3. Connect these bullet points to form a paragraph.
4. Make the paragraph free from any grammatical and punctuation mistakes.
5. Reduce the fluff to make the precis one-third of the original passage.
6. Compare both pieces and figure out if each sentence of the precis has the same essence as that of the passage.
7. Proofread the precis.
Make sure to do some research on the author’s message if you’re unaware of what they’re talking about. For an instance, if the author has talked about astrology in the passage then you must learn a little about astrology on your own. This should be done so that you don’t misinterpret the author’s message. The reason for doing this is not to add any information from your research, this is highly prohibited.