Module Code: HNN217
Module Subject: Community Nursing Practice
Assessment Task 1 Essay
1500 words and 40% weighting
Purpose of assessment task
This assessment task will enable you to improve your understanding and knowledge about the importance of engaging in culturally safe practice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to improve health outcomes.
This task is designed to assess the following Unit Learning Outcomes:
- Explain the relationship between nursing, the social determinants of health, and primary health care.
- Identify the roles and responsibilities of the nurse engaged in community health practice, including education of individuals, families, and carers.
- Evaluate symptoms, functional status, and risk in the management of individuals, significant others and communities.
- Identify participative, evidence-based health promoting interventions for individuals, families, and carers from diverse backgrounds including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Demonstrate integration of knowledge and skills by providing safe, effective care for individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds in community settings.
There are associations between equity, access, social determinants of health which are linked to poor health outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Community nurses can assist in improving health outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples by ensuring understanding of culturally safe practice that can be crucial to closing the gap in health outcomes.
You are a community nurse at the local community centre in Fitzroy, Melbourne. You have been asked to assess Joan, who has self-presented to the community centre to ask for support. You approach Joan and escort her to the consultation room to have a conversation about her needs. This is the first time that Joan has attended this clinic, and you don’t have any information about her on the central database. During the consultation, Joan states that she wants to get some food vouchers and is reluctant to engage with you. She appears to be anxious when approached and you have had to seek support from a colleague to assist with the consultation. Joan states that she is worried about disclosing information and you have had to seek to support an Aboriginal Health Worker to assist you with the consultation. Joan felt comfortable with the Aboriginal Health Worker to share the following details about her current circumstances. She states that she is a 40-year-old Yamatji woman from Geraldton, Western Australia. Joan states that she is visiting her cousin in Melbourne who has been unwell and requires support. Joan says that she is a single mother and has three children who live with her extended mob in Geraldton. She is employed as a seasonal farmworker and has not been able to work since arriving in Melbourne. Joan reports that due to financial difficulties and being in an unfamiliar city, she has stopped taking her medications for her Diabetes. She reports that she doesn’t remember the names of medications; however, she has reluctantly provided consent for you to contact her GP to obtain further information.
Using the case scenario answer the following questions.
- Explore the concept of culturally safe practice using existing literature to articulate your understanding about providing care for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples.
- Explain how you would implement two strategies that may enhance the likelihood that your approach to care is culturally safe for Joan.
“You can order HNN217 Community Nursing Practice Assignment from our service and can get a completely high-quality custom paper. Our service offers any of the HNN217 academic paper written from scratch, according to all customers’ requirements, expectations and highest standards.”
100% Plagiarism Free
24X7 Customer Support
Leave A Comment