Subject Code: PUBH6002
Title: Global and Environmental Health Issues
Assessment 1 – Report: Guided policy analysis
The Subject Learning Outcomes demonstrated by successful completion of the task below include:
- Examine environmental factors from the local to the global levels that influence health and interpret the relevance to the health of populations.
- Interpret and analyse the impacts of globalisation on the social, economic, and political determinants of global and local health.
- Critically analyse ethical elements relevant to environmental health protections, policies, and industry practices, including identification of vulnerable groups.
- Investigate the relationships between environmental risk factors and social, economic, and political determinants of illness and injury.
Equitable, effective and evidence-based health policy is essential to population based health management and disease prevention. The ability to review and analyse policy options and comment on their efficacy and feasibility is a key skill within public health. By conducting a policy analysis, student will gain an understanding of the importance of policy development and implementation to minimize health burdens. Policy analysis also introduces skills of critical thinking, literature research, and analysis.
After critically reviewing the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control and the National Tobacco strategy, write a 1000 (±10%) guided policy analysis report using the Report template provided on Blackboard.
Please refer to the Task Instructions for details on how to complete this task.
The WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco was developed in response to the global epidemic of tobacco (e.g. tobacco consumption rates) and the increased burden of disease as a result of its consumption (e.g. tobacco-related disease). It is an evidence-base treaty aiming to provide the Legal and practical strategies that nations states can apply to regulate key structural factors that contribute to tobacco consumption globally, these factors include:
- trade liberalization
- direct foreign investment
- global marketing
- transnational tobacco advertising
- promotion and sponsorship
- international movement of contraband and counterfeit cigarettes (World Health Organization [WHO], 2021).
Review the following documents:
- The WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (World Health Organization.
(2003). WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. World Health Organization. https://www.who.int/fctc/text_download/en/)
- The National Tobacco Strategy 2012-2018 (Department of Health and Aging. (2012). National Tobacco Strategy 2012-2018. Commonwealth of Australia, Department of Health and aging. https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/national-tobacco-strategy-2012-pdf)
Then conduct a policy review of The National Tobacco Strategy implemented in Australia, in relation to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control Framework Write in 1000 words (±10%) a report guided by the following four questions:
Introduction/Background (Approx. 150 words)
- In the introduction present the burden of disease and smoking rates in Australia before the implementation of the National Tobacco Strategy and discuss tobacco control legislation prior to the policy.
- Finally, briefly discuss the impact the implementation of the National Tobacco Strategy has had on the tobacco related burden of disease.
Policy analysis (Approx. 600 words)
- Discuss how the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control informed the development and implementation of Australia’s National Tobacco Strategy? Who were the key stakeholders in this development and what were their role?
- Describe the expected intermediate and long-term outcomes and the strengths of Australia’s National Tobacco Strategy based on successful achievements?
- Discuss 2 strategies that have been less successful or unsuccessful at reducing tobacco consumption in Australia.
Recommendations and conclusions (Approx. 250 words)
- How could the National Tobacco Strategy be improved? Provide 3-4 recommendations to improve the implementation and efficacy of the NTS based on your policy analysis.
“You can order PUBH6002: Global and Environmental Health Issues Assignment from our service and can get a completely high-quality custom paper. Our service offers any of the PUBH6002 Academic paper written from scratch, according to all customers’ requirements, expectations and highest standards.”
100% Plagiarism Free
24X7 Customer Support
Leave A Comment